The Nigerian Army says its men killed 15 Boko Haram insurgents in a fierce battle between troops and the terrorists in Abadam village, Borno State on Thursday (yesterday).
This is according to a statement issued by Col. Sani Usman, acting Director Army Public Relations in Abuja.
However, the Army, said it lost two soldiers during the clash.
Usman said the terrorists attacked troops of Operation Lafiya Dole and Multinational Task Force at about 6:30 a.m. on Thursday, which lasted for two hours. According to him, while many of the insurgents escaped with gunshot wounds, four soldiers also sustained injuries.
“The bodies of our late colleagues and the wounded have since been evacuated.
“The troops have continued mop up and clearance operations of the remnants of the terrorists.
“They have also intensified vigilance and high level of alertness,” he said.
Usman said items recovered from the terrorists include a gun truck, one 60mm Mortar tube, seven 60mm mortar bomb, a General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG), three damaged AK 47 Rifle and four bandoliers of anti-aircraft rounds of ammunition.
Similarly, on 21st September, Nigerian Army also reported an offensive aimed at pushing Boko Haram militants out of the remote northeast town of Malam Fatori, near the border with Niger. The military said it killed several militants in the encounter near Lake Chad but Boko Haram had called in reinforcements.
“The operation is continuing,” said army spokesman Sani Usman.
In the same vein, ISIS, to whom Boko Haram pledged loyalty last year, said insurgents had attacked an army convoy in the area on Monday and killed 40 troops.
The statement was published on ISIS affiliated news agency Amaq. It was picked up by SITE which monitors jihadist announcements.